Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Random Thoughts on Racism?


Racism isn’t necessarily the prejudicial characterization of different races, is it? I’ve been thinking about it today. I don’t think certain white people hate black people because of their skin colour, or because of the characteristics of the black culture. I mean, there is no specific black culture. Throughout history, in all racial wars, it’s all boiled down to the fact that people are afraid of things that are different to the norms that they are used to. And that fear quickly evolves into hate. In my opinion, that’s what racism is. It’s plainly the majority picking on the minority because the minority isn’t the majority. It’s just like how people who listen to mainstream catchy music don’t like the people who listen to indie music. Or how underground hip hop heads hate the mainstream hip hop listeners. It’s even like how society often looks down on people who dress “weird”. People tend to dislike things that aren’t similar to them. Who knows? This could be the reason why people started to eat animals. With that said, I didn’t do any research or have taken any courses on these types of thing, so I’m probably not saying anything new, or anything that you haven’t heard before. I don’t know why I wrote all this. I just did. Anyways, this is me blogging again. It’s been a long time since I’ve did it.

Note: I wrote something about racism on my Tumblr blog last year. It feels weird reading something you wrote over a year ago.
http://danielbui.tumblr.com/post/1680344177/racism-and-the-influence-of-authority

No comments:

Post a Comment